~ The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition.
~ Knowledge gained by the use of this faculty; a perceptive insight.
~ A sense of something not evident or deducible; an impression.
What is Intuition?
Intuition is the inherent ability to connect with our "inner self." Our inner self (or "higher self") is that part of us that knows everything we need to know and helps guide us through our existence in the physical world.
Successful business people are often described as having a "sixth sense," "gut feel" or an "intuitive" feeling about their business, career, industry trends or stock market trends. What is it that makes them so successful? Usually, they have consciously strengthened their natural intuitive abilities and learned to make those abilities work for them in the business world.
Are you using your intuition?
Intuition can take many forms:
- a "feeling" that something is good or bad
- a feeling that we need to pay attention
- a sense of peace or "knowing" that everything is OK, even though everyone else is confused
- signs and symbols that speak to us
- a person's words that seem to vibrate with special meaning for us
- a sense of energy that grabs our attention
- a flash of inspiration - the "Ah Ha!" experience
- the ability to visualize a future event
- a "voice" that we hear when we are in danger
- dreams that affect us deeply or that provide a "message" we feel is important
- setting a future goal and programming our mind to visualize the experience of achieving that goal
- a nagging hunger to pursue something different
- a sense of knowing what another person is thinking or feeling, or what they are about to say
- thinking of someone just before they call on the phone or show up at our door
- thinking about someone when they are having a personal crisis
- a sense of de ja vu (a sense of being here before)
- feeling that something is wrong with someone, then learning they are ill or have died.
Some of the most inspirational and successful people I have come across in business, actively tap into their inuition. Some use tools such as Astrology, Numerology, dowsing, all tools that work for them, which may sound extreme to some of you that are reading this.....but it works! I choose a card for the day every morning, to allow me to "Check in" with my own inner guidance!
Let me give you an example.....
Take the example of the best traders in the City..... they combine their knowledge and logic with raw "Gut instinct" in the split second they make their ground breaking deals.
People like Donald Trump, Sir Richard Branson, Walt Disney to name a few are people who have all listened to that “inner knowing” and followed it, sometimes on multi million or even multi billion dollar deals.
They have acted on it and been proved right time after time. Often that knowing had no basis in logical reality, yet it was right.
Let me name a few others that trusted their intuition........
1) Masaru Ibuka Founder and chairman of Japan's Sony Corp.
Asked in an interview, "What is the secret of your success?" He said he had a ritual. Preceding a business decision, he would drink herbal tea. Before he drank, he asked himself, "Should I make this deal or not?" If the tea gave him indigestion, he wouldn't make the deal. "I trust my gut, and I know how it works," he said. "My mind is not that smart, but my body is."
2) Tom Peters Management consultant and best selling author
"Leaders trust their guts. "Intuition" is one of those good words that has gotten a bad rap. For some reason, intuition has become a "soft" notion. Garbage! Intuition is the new physics. It's an Einsteinian, seven-sense, practical way to make tough decisions. Bottom line, circa 2001 to 2010: The crazier the times are, the more important it is for leaders to develop and to trust their intuition."
3) From Forbes Business Magazine:-Peter Vegso played a hunch that turned his struggling publishing company into an industry powerhouse. At a 1992 booksellers convention he attended, an acquaintance, Jack Canfield, was peddling a manuscript of inspirational stories he had collected over 20 years as a motivational speaker (Chicken Soup for the Soul).
One hundred and forty publishers had rejected the book. Canfield asked Vegso to look at it.
"I said, 'Jack, I'll publish it,'" recalls Vegso, president of Health Communications Inc. "He said, 'Don't you have to read it first?'"
… the rest, so they say, is history!
Inspired? Interested? Curious?
If you want to harness the power of YOUR intuition you can join myself and Adrian Peck on a one day workshop Friday 5th March, more details HERE